Many patients try and fail with old fashioned dentures. Old fashioned removable dentures are false replacement teeth attached to gum-colored plastic that are inserted into the mouth. Over time, dentures need to be refitted or remade because the gum tissue and bone levels are constantly disappearing. In fact, dentures rubbing on the gum tissue actually accelerate this loss of tissue. This causes immense grief for the patients because over time their dentures will fit less and less. Poorly fitting dentures cause sores as they rub on the gum, causing pain and discomfort. Therefore, it is required to get new dentures periodically.
Problems with Old Fashioned Dentures:
- Eating- Foods that are extremely sticky or hard must be avoided. Patients are forced to have a soft diet. Also, bulky acrylic covers the upper palate and distorts the flavors of food.
- Speaking- Patients may have difficulty pronouncing certain words because of the unstable dentures.
- Movement/slipping of dentures- This is common with a lot of movement of the mouth. The cheeks and tongue dislodge the dentures causing movements.
- Embarrassment- Dentures can fall our during speech, laughter, sneezing and eating. This is extremely embarrassing.
- Soreness- The denture will rubs against your gums causing painful ulcers.
- Messy- Because of the instability of dentures, patients use massive amounts of denture adhesives.
Dental Implant Dentures
Dr. Nugent is a leader in dental implant therapy and has been helping patients overcome the problems with old fashioned dentures. Dental implant dentures give patients a new hope.
The denture literally snaps onto the implants. The implants provide a stable and secure foundation for the denture. The implants will stimulate and preserve the bone levels and tissue levels. Dental implant dentures are truly changing lives.
Dr. Michael Nugent is a regional leader in dental implant care. Dr. Nugent is one of the few general dentist that has invested in the technology, training and education to both place and restore dental implants. Dr. Nugent is located at 3421 Burke Rd #1, Pasadena, Texas 77504.