Dental Implant Surgery with CBCT
Medical Doctors have relied on computerized axial tomography scans (CAT) for many years. CAT scans are an X-ray procedure that uses many different X-ray images with the help of computers to generate cross-sectional and 3D views of internal organs and structures within the body.
Dr. Nugent uses a 3D imaging techniques called Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT) scan to provide him with a detailed view of the mouth and skull. The advantage that 3D imaging holds over regular dental x-rays is that bone structure, bone density, tissues, and nerves can be viewed clearly without magnification distortion.
CBCT scans can be completed in less than half a minute. Therefore, less radiation enters the body than a regular 16 film full mouth series of radiographs is taken. The main use for 3D scans is as an aid to plan dental implant treatment and other oral surgery.
Dental implants are the most sophisticated replacement for missing teeth, but have historically proven to be time-consuming to place. The old fashioned dental implant was to get the patient numb, cut and peel back the bone to evaluate where an implant could go. There were many surprises and complications from figuring out the surgery on the spot. Cone Beam scans vastly reduce the time it takes to place implants because Dr. Nugent can “virtually” perform the implant surgery. Dr. Nugent will know exactly where to place the implant for optimal successes. Then Dr. Nugent will create a surgical guide. He simply prints it on his 3d printer. The surgical guide allows Dr. Nugent to perform your implant surgery faster, safer and more accurately.
3D Scans are used in Dentistry:
- Assess the quality of the jawbone where the implant will be placed.
- Determine where nerves are located.
- Measure the density of the jawbone where the implant will be placed.
- Locate the most effective placement for implants, including the angle of best fit.
- Organize the complete surgical procedure in advance, from start to finish.
- Accurately decide on the appropriate size and type of implants.
- Diagnose tumors and disease in the early stages.
- Observe the exact orientation and position of each tooth.
- View impacted teeth and wisdom teeth.
3D scanning is an incredible tool that is minimizing the cost of dental treatment, reducing treatment time and enhancing the end results of dental surgery.
Get the best for you and your family. Dr. Nugent is a leader in dental implant care for Pasadena and Deer Park Texas. See why so many patients travel from out of town to have their implant done by Dr. Nugent. Visit us at 3421 Burke Rd #1, Pasadena, Texas 77504.
Call us at 713-941-1812 for your new patient experience.