Dr. Nugent how do dental implants preserve and stimulate bone?
Bone is always remodeling. In other words, the bone is always in a state of bone resorption and bone formation. Natural teeth transmit the forces of chewing into the bone. This provides stimulation to the bone and is necessary for proper bone health. When a tooth is lost there is no longer transmission of the chewing forces to the bone near the missing tooth. Therefore, the bone is no longer stimulated and will disappear. A dental implant is designed to mimic a natural tooth. The dental implant is anchored into the jaw bone. Chewing forces from the implant are transmitted to the bone where the bone is stimulated.
Dr. Nugent, what do I do? I have been told I do not have enough bone for dental implants.
If you have been told in the past that you are not a candidate for dental implants then you owe it to yourself to come see Dr. Nugent. While it is true that patients that have been in dentures or partial dentures have tremendous bone loss all is not lost. Never technologies in dental implants and bone grafting make it possible for more patients to receive dental implants.
Bone grafting can add bulk to the jaw bone so that the jaw bone can accept a dental implant. Sometimes the bone grafting procedure and dental implant placement can take place at the same time. Every patient is unique. Schedule an appointment with Pasadena, Texas Dental Implant Dentist Michael Nugent DDS to discuss the many changes in bone grafting procedures. Dental implants will transform your life.
What is the difference between dental implants and dental bridges?
- Longer waiting “3-4” months until completion
- Less coverage by insurance (insurance company wants to keep your money)
- Does not damage neighbor teeth
- Will never need a root canal
- Will never get decay
- Teeth are not connected together
- Can floss between teeth
- Closest resemblance to natural tooth
- Easy to clean with normal brushing and flossing
- Requires minor surgery
- No risk for post-op sensitivity
- Preserves bone levels
- Shorter time frame, “2-3” months after extraction
- Dental insurances pay more frequently
- Slightly lower initial cost
- Permanent removal of tooth structure of adjacent teeth
- Increased risk for root canals
- Increased risk for decay
- Bridges routinely fail because of decay or failed root canals
- Teeth are connected together
- Not as cosmetic as dental implant because teeth are fused together
- Can’t floss between teeth, cleaning difficult
- Must use specialized floss threaders to clean
- No surgical procedure
- Greatly increased risk post-operative sensitivity
- Does not preserve bone, bone and gum tissue will recede leaving a space between the bridge and the gum tissue.
Dental implants are far superior to dental bridges. Dental implants are the standard of care when replacing missing teeth. Dr. Nugent choose dental implants when he replaced missing teeth on his family members, friends, and team members. You deserve the best in dental implant care. See why Dr. Nugent has been voted BEST PASADENA TEXAS DENTIST multiple times. Dr. Nugent sees patients from Pasadena, Deer Park, La Porte, League City, Clear Lake, Friendswood, Webster and Houston Texas. Dr. Nugent is a leader in the dental implant field.