Pasadena Texas Dental Implants
Dental Implants, why not dentures or bridges?
There are many older treatment options when replacing missing teeth. These older methods include bridges and dentures. Dental implants are the far superior method when replacing teeth. Below you will find out why bridges and dentures are outdated and poor treatment choices.
At one point in time, bridges were the most advanced treatment option when replacing missing teeth. However, they have many problems that dental implants do not. Problems with bridges include:
1) The adjacent teeth to the missing space must be aggressively cut down. The tooth structure is irreversibly removed.
2) They are not good long term solutions. Half of all bridges fail at around the 15 year mark.
3) Cost similar to a restored implant. But when the bridge fails, the patient is looking at a greater financial cost to replace the bridge. Often one of the support teeth is so damaged it has to be removed. Now the patient is missing another tooth.
4) Bridges fuse the teeth together. They are difficult to floss. Thus, most people do not floss and the support teeth get decay.
5) Bridges merely “bridge” over the missing tooth. They do nothing to preserve the bone and gum tissue levels. Therefore, the bone and gum tissue underneath the fake tooth will start to disappear causing an ugly black void.
All of the problems with old fashioned bridges are non-existent with dental implants.
Dentures are not a replacement for teeth. They are a replacement for no teeth. Dentures are only for cosmetic appearances. If one can actually eat with the dentures that is a bonus. Dentures are a bulky acrylic prosthesis that gets shoved into the mouth. The upper denture covers the roof of the mouth (the palate) and is bulky and alters the taste of food. The lower denture is always more problematic for the patient. Everyone hates their lower denture. The lower denture is constantly being dislodged by the cheeks and tongue. Patients are in constant fear that their dentures will fall out while eating, laughing or coughing. When the teeth are lost, the supporting bone and gum tissue starts to disappear causing the face to collapse. Wearing acrylic dentures actually speeds up the bone and gum tissue loss. Don’t suffer with old fashioned dentures.
Dental implants eliminate the problems associated with bridges and dentures. Furthermore, for patients already suffering with dentures Dr. Nugent can create Dental Implant Dentures. Our office is located at 3421 Burke Rd #1, Pasadena, Texas 77504. Call our office at 713-941-1812 to discover how dental implants can change your life.